Tax Return for J-1 visa holders

Do you qualify for a Tax Return?

If you resided in the U.S. for an internship during the previous calendar year and have received compensation for your position , you must submit a tax return to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the American Finance Office, and to the respective governmental authority of the Federal State. In this case, it is quite possible that you will qualify for a tax refund if the payroll tax was overpaid.

Due to U.S. tax treaties with different nations, J1 visa trainees and interns are generally exempt from taxes from the category of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax. These include Federal Unemployment, Medicare, and Social Security Taxes. However, these charges are often automatically deducted from your monthly check by your employer.

The general rule that everyone who works in the U.S. must pay taxes even if they permanently reside outside the U.S. applies. Anyone residing in the US with a J, F, Q, or M visa, and has any sort of income, is required to pay U.S. taxes.

Therefore, all J1 trainees and J1 interns who receive an income during their internship must expect to pay Federal, State, and Local Taxes. However, you have the option to claim taxes paid in the U.S. depending on your income. Please apply for a tax refund. Please note that all those who have worked in the U.S. are required to fill out Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ and thus apply for a tax refund. Even if your internship was unpaid,

If your internship or traineeship took place during two calendar years, you may have to submit two annual reports.

Tax Refund Process

Required Forms

When you start your internship or traineeship, you will receive the W-4 (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate) form from your host company / employer. You must fill out this form so that the exact amount of the taxes to be paid can be determined.

By mid-February of the following year, you will receive the form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) from your employer in which your salary and the local taxes (eg city tax) that you have paid are listed.

The W-2 form is one of the most important parts of the tax claim application because all payments received from your employer and all tax deductions are listed there for the last calendar year. You must enter this data into the tax refund application and attach the W-2 form to your application to be sent to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

If you have received the W-2 form from your employer, you can use our service. For the tax refund you have to submit your documents via our service to the IRS.

It depends on your individual situation, whether you need to fill out Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. It is important that the form is completed correctly.

If you would like more information on tax refund, please fill out the form. You will then receive further information and advice for a successful tax refund.

Are you eligible for a refund?

Fill out the form below to receive an email with the next steps to apply for a tax refund.
  • Hidden

    Hidden fields for SF API

  • Hidden
    Module Leads in SFNEW Fields in Lead DB: FirstName__c LastName__c Organization__cOld fields: LastName company hidden and renamed
  • Hidden
    for values see here:
  • Hidden
    for values see here:
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.