What our program offers

With the J-1 visa, students and graduates can complete a cultural exchange program in the USA for up to 12 months by participating in an internship. However, before the internship can begin in the U.S., each global participant must select a sponsor and join a program.

We, the GACC California, are an official sponsor by the U.S. Department of State in the category J-1 Intern and Trainee. Meaning, we function as an extension of the U.S. Embassy. Our task is not only to issue the DS-2019 form but also to ensure that the agreed training objectives are achieved with the host company in compliance with official American regulations. Consequently, applicants and host companies must undergo an examination and revision process. Participants can only apply for a J-1 visa at the U.S. embassy after receiving the DS-2019 form. As your sponsor, we will guide you through the whole process – before, during and after your internship, while remaining your primary contact through the duration of the internship and stay in the U.S.

In accordance with U.S. Department of State regulations, we require all of our program participants to have appropriate travel health insurance coverage throughout their entire stay in the U.S. Therefore, a suitable travel health insurance plan is a part of our program and must be purchased through us.

The entire application and support process takes place online, by email, by telephone and via Skype. Register on our website where you can find more information about the program in your account.

J-1 Intern Program Requirements

Minimum qualifications for participating in the J-1 Visa Program

Requirements for Students/Graduates

  • You are at least 18 years of age.
  • You are a full-time student (from the 2nd semester) at a university outside the USA or start your internship within 12 months after finishing your degree.
  • You have a commitment for an internship from a US company and this has a direct reference to your field of study.
  • You have proficient English language skills.
  • You have sufficient financial resources of at least 1,300 USD / month available in the US.
  • Your internship does not exceed 12 months.
  • You must schedule a lead time of at least 8 weeks.

Requirements for U.S. Host Companies

  • At least 3 permanent employees per J-1 applicant (except internships with lawyers)
  • Preparation and compliance of a training plan for your internship (DS-7002)
  • Enter the company’s tax number (EIN)
  • Submission of a copy of the Worker’s Compensation Policy (occupational accident insurance). This must also cover trainees.
  • Guest company can not be a home office.
  • With less than 25 employees AND less than $ 3 million annual turnover, a company visit (On-Site Visit) must be completed by us.
Mission Beach Photo Shoot

Internship placement in the U.S.

Having trouble finding a company?

For those who have yet to secure an internship with a suitable company in the USA, we offer our individual placement program. You can specify your career goals and interests here, for example, location and field of expertise. The processing time to find a placement and visa preparations is between 3 and 6 months.

Program Description

What we offer as a J-1 sponsor for a successful stay

Even after securing an internship, companies may be reluctant to move forward with hosting candidates due to the tedious paperwork requirements and forms to be completed. Approximately 70% of applicants experience delays or problems with the DS-7002. Therefore, we offer our service of completing the DS-7002 (training plan). With our expertise, filling out the forms and providing the accurate detailed information relieves a huge burden on the host company and increases your chances of successfully meeting all the prerequisites and being able to successfully complete the internship. Through this service, you avoid problems throughout the completion process, we provide ongoing support and guidance to your host company, and are always available to clarify any questions that may arise. 

Our long-standing experience in DS-2019 processing ensures adequate collaboration with your host company to perfectly execute the training plan (DS-7002). In most cases, host companies are grateful to have our help and expertise throughout the DS-7002 completion process. You will be informed of the progress of your application during each step of the process and we are happy to provide any further assistance you may need. The costs of the J-1 visa program depend on the duration of the internship.

Our J-1 Visa program includes:

  • Personal support by the GACC California in Germany and the USA
  • Direct collaboration and constant contact with the host company
  • Check for completeness / request for missing documents to ensure these are filled out properly
  • Comprehensive support when completing all documents, providing sample copies if necessary
  • Ongoing support to your host company in the preparation of the official training plan
  • Guidance to your host company on topics such as workers’ compensation, taxes, etc. in order to fully comply with all U.S. regulations.
  • International Health Insurance
  • Filling the DS-2019 form
  • Participant Handbook
  • Preparation for your meeting at the U.S. Embassy (check all additional forms)
  • Participation in regularly organized cultural activities in different cities, photo-contests, monthly newsletters, access to the alumni network and much more.
  • Certificate of Participation

J-1 Internship sponsorship in the following areas:

  • Arts and Culture: Design and Applied Arts, Cinematography and Film/Video Production, Commercial Photography, Commercial and Advertising Art, Arts Management, Design and Visual Communications, Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, General, Fashion/Apparel Design, Graphic Design, Illustration, Industrial Design, Interior Design, Music Management and Merchandising, Playwriting and Screenwriting, Printmaking, Sculpture, Theatre/Theatre Arts Management, Visual and Performing Arts, etc.
  • Hospitality and Tourism: Hospitality Administration/Management, Hospitality and Recreation Marketing Operations, Hotel/Motel Administration/Management, Tourism Promotion Operations, Tourism and Travel Services Management, Tourism and Travel Services Marketing Operations, etc.
  • Public Administration and Law: Public Relations, Public Policy, Business & Labor Law, Criminal Law, Civil Liberties, Human Rights Law, International Law, Environmental Law, etc.
  • Information Media and Communications: Advertising, Broadcast Journalism, Communications, Technologies/ Technicians and Support Services, Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia Programming, Mass Communications, Public Relations, Advertising and Applied Communication, Television/Radio/Print Journalism, Printing & Publishing, etc.
  • Management, Business, Commerce and Finance: Accounting, Banking and Financial Support Services, Business Administration, Management/ Operations, Business, Marketing, Customer Service Management, E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce, Finance and Financial Management Services, Human Resources Management, International Business/ Trade/Commerce, Logistics and Materials Management, Information Systems, Operations, Sales, Distribution, and Marketing, Transportation/Transportation Management.
  • The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations: Molecular Biology, Cell/Cellular Biology and Anatomical Sciences, Developmental Biology and Embryology, Environmental Biology, Toxicology, Marine Biology and Biological Oceanography, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Oncology and Cancer Biology, Wildlife, Zoology/Animal Biology, Civil /Computer /Environmental Engineering, Landscape / Urban Architecture, Mathematical Analysis, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Relations, Computer Engineering Technologies, Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technologies, Robotics, Physical Sciences, Chemical Technologies, etc.

Still questions?

Get to know our program & FAQ’s

For detailed answers about the terms & conditions, fees, participant & host company requirements in the U.S., please refer to our FAQ’s.